Posted on March 22nd, 2007
- Analysis of the prevalence of cleft lip and palate in LÃ³dz
- Cleft Lip and Palate in Denmark, 1976-1981
- Incidence of Cleft Lip and Palate Deformities in the South-east of Scotland (1971-1990)
- Incidence of facial clefts in the Magdeburg region of Germany
- Facial clefts from 1961 to 2000–incidence, prenatal diagnosis and prevalence by maternal age
- The Incidence of Cleft Lip and Palate in Northern Ireland
Analysis of the prevalence of cleft lip and palate in LÃ³dz
Full title: Analysis of the prevalence of cleft lip and palate in LÃ³dz during the period between 1981-1995 with the form of the cleft and sex of the newborns
During the period between 1981-1995, 267 children out of 132,723 newborns in LÃ³dz (Poland) were born with cleft lip and/or palate. This made the mean prevalence of cleft over the 15 year period 2 per 1000. Isolated cleft palate occured most frequently (112), whereas cleft lip and palate, and especially cleft lip only were less frequent (104 and 51 respectively). Cleft palate occurred more often in girls than in boys (68:44), complete cleft lip and palate were more frequently seen in boys (66:38), whereas isolated cleft lip was observed to be equal in girls and in boys (26:25). Unilateral clefts occured at a significantly higher rate than bilateral ones (115:40), with boys being affected more often than girls (67:48). The cleft appeared rather on the left side than on the right (79:36).
The article draws the conclusion that the results of the research reported upon concerning the prevalence of cleft lip and/or palate, type and side of cleft and sex of the infants with clefts who were born in Lodz during the period 1981-1995 are consistent with world literature data.
- Antoszewski, B., and Kruk-Jeromin, J. (1998) Analysis of the prevalence of cleft lip and palate in LÃ³dz during the period between 1981-1995 with the form of the cleft and sex of the newborns. Medical Science Monitor, 1998; 4(3): 513-517. Full article (pdf, 184kb) available at http://www.medscimonit.com/pub/vol_4/no_3/766.pdf [verified 22 March 2007] [↩]
Comments are closed.